Junior College Transfer Rules
If you are attempting to transfer from a junior college or community college to a four-year school, this guide explains everything you need to do in order to successfully transfer. It is critical you get the athletic departments from both the school you are transferring from and to involved early. We break down the transfer process below based on your transfer status as a qualifier or non-qualifier. You cannot transfer on your own, you will need to enlist the help of your athletic department.
What to do as a Non-Qualifier
Generally, a non-qualifier is a student athlete who is attempting to transfer before completing their general education/associates degree. In Division I, if you are transferring from a two-year college and have never been certified as a final academic qualifier, the requirements to compete, practice, and receive an athletic scholarship in your first year are:
- Attend the two-year college full-time for at least three semesters or four quarters;
- Achieve a cumulative GPA of at least 2.000;
- Graduate from the two-year college; and
- Have at least 48 transferable credit hours at a semester school or 72 transferable credit hours at a quarter school, including six or eight of English and three semester hours or four quarter hours of math.
Only 18 semester hours or 27 quarter hours may be earned during summer terms. And only 9 semester hours or 13.5 quarter hours may be earned the summer immediately prior to a transfer to a Division I school. The same midyear transfer rules for baseball and basketball and physical education credits rule for men’s basketball apply to non-qualifiers as well.
*The semester and quarter hours should be calculated by someone in an athletic department to academic adviser role. If you are a non-qualifier, take the information above to an academic adviser and plan out what you need to do in order to become an academic qualifier.
In Division II, transfers from a two-year college who were not certified as final academic qualifiers or who were certified as final partial qualifiers must meet the following requirements:
- Attend the two-year college for at least two semesters or three quarters; and
- Either graduate from the two-year college or complete an average of 12 credit hours for every full-time semester or quarter at the two-year college.
Non-qualifiers and who use the 12 credit hours per term route must earn six semester hours or eight quarter hours of English and three semester hours or four quarter hours of math.
Learn more about Jersey Coast Academy. Contact us anytime if you have questions. We'll be happy to assist you!